Just the Pictures (Ireland) St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin (built in 1191 AD). Statue of the Marquis of Buckingham, first Grand Master of the “Knights of Saint Patrick.” The choir inside St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Two examples of stained glass windows inside the Cathedral. The death mask of Jonathan Swift, author of ‘Gulliver’s Travels’. St. Patrick’s Cathedral seen from the park, which is where the well that St. Patrick used for baptisms was located. Dublin’s City Hall. looking at Bedford Hall from the Upper Castle Yard, in Dublin Castle. The Chapel Royal with the Record Tower (the only surviving tower from the original medieval castle) in the background. Inside Chapel Royal. Sketch of James Connolly, who was held in a room (now called the “Connolly Room”) at the State Apartments in Dublin Castle after the failed Easter Rebellion in 1916 AD. The Drawing Room inside the State Apartments. ‘Elizabeth Leigh, Countess of Southampton’, by Anthony Van Dyke (1641 AD). View of Belford Tower, from the Throne Room. The Throne Room. The Portrait Gallery. Convex mirror inside the Portrait Gallery. St. Patrick’s Hall in the State Apartments – it is used for important state events and the for swearing in Ireland’s presidents. The “Most Illustrious Order of St. Patrick” (instituted in 1783 AD by King George III). Christ Church Cathedral, the oldest surviving church in Dublin (from 1030 AD) and the seat of the Church of Ireland. The interior of Christ Church Cathedral. Chapel of St. Laud inside the Cathedral. Statues of Charles I and Charles II with the Royal Arms, located inside the crypt under the Cathedral. “The Cat and the Rat” – two animals that were stuck inside the Cathedral’s organ pipes in the 1860s and became mummified; James Joyce mentioned them in ‘Finnegan’s Wake’. The Liffey River. The entrance to the Old Jameson Distillery – this is the site of the original distillery that operated from 1780 to 1971 AD. Grist used to make Jameson Irish Whiskey. Washback used to ferment the malted barley. Pot stills used to demonstrate Jameson’s triple distillation process. Barrels used to demonstrate the color and amount of whiskey left after 1, 3, 5, 12, 18 years of maturation. Different types of Jameson Irish Whiskey on sale. Johnny Walker Black Label (L), Jameson Irish Whiskey (C), and Jack Daniels (R) for the taste test after the Old Jameson Distillery tour. Vendors along Moore Lane. The Spire of Dublin, on O’Connell Street. The General Post Office in Dublin – it served as the headquarters of the uprising’s leaders during the Easter Rebellion in 1916 AD. The Abbey Presbyterian Church, located adjacent to the Dublin Writer’s Museum. The Charles Stewart Parnell Monument. A view of Abbey Street. The O’Connell Monument. Ha’penny Bridge (built in 1816 AD out of cast iron) over the LIffey River. The Four Courts, Ireland’s main courts building (built in 1802 AD). The Guinness Brewery. The Guinness Storehouse (on the left), which was constructed in 1902 AD as a fermentation plant for the St. James’s Gate Brewery, but now serves as a tourist attraction. The 9000 year lease signed by Arthur Guinness in 1759 AD. Inside the Guinness Storehouse. Model of the Castleknock, a Guinness barge commissioned between 1928 and 1931 AD. View of Dublin looking eastward from the Gravity Bar, which is located on the topmost floor of the Guinness Storehouse. A view slightly south of east (not quite the same as the last photograph) from the Gravity Bar. Looking southward from the Gravity Bar. Entrance to the Brazen Head, Dublin’s oldest pub, established in 1198 AD. The Liffey River with St. Paul’s Church in view. Parliament Square in Trinity College; the college was established in 1592 AD and has been attended by the following literary greats: Jonathan Swift, Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, and Bram Stoker. The Long Room of the Old Library in Trinity College. Grafton Street in Dublin. Gallagh Man; his remains were found in a bog in Galway County and is believed to have lived in the Early Iron Age (400-200 BC); he is now on display inside the National Museum of Ireland. Seven Irish swords dated between 900-500 BC. Side-blown and end-blown horns from 900-500 BC. Gold lunulas (ca. 2000 BC). A boot made from leather and wood (probably Late Medieval). A human skull with sword or axe cuts. An inscribed grave marker (or “memorial slab”) from the 9th or 10th-century AD. A replica of St. Manchan’s Shrine (the original is from the 12th-century AD). The Kavanagh Charter Horn, a ceremonial drinking horn and symbol of the kingship of Leinster; this is the only piece of Irish regalia to have survived from the Middle Ages (15th-century AD). Shrine of the Book of Moling (1403 AD). The Shrine of St. Patrick’s Tooth (14th-century AD). Wooden mether with bog butter – milk produced in remote summer grazing was made in to butter and preserved in bogs for later consumption or sale; sometimes they were forgotten or abandoned and found centuries later like this one. The Domhnach Airgid Shrine – this shrine was originally given by St. Patrick to St. Macartan; when it was opened in the 19th-century AD, it was found to contain an ancient manuscript of the Gospels (the shrine dates to the 8th-century AD, but was remodeled in the 14th-century AD). Shrine of the Miosach – a book shrine that dates to the 11th-century AD. A silver chalice found in Tipperary County (9th-century AD). St. Patrick’s Bell and Shrine (6th- to 8th-century AD, and 1100 AD). A silver chalice found in Limerick County (8th-century AD). Two silver annular brooches (8th/9th-century AD). Gold model of a boat, found with a hoard of other gold artifacts in Derry County (1st-century BC). Statue of George Bernard Shaw inside the National Gallery of Ireland. ‘Peasant wedding’ by Pieter Brueghel the Younger (1620 AD). ‘Man Writing a Letter’ by Gabriel Metsu (1664/65 AD). ‘The Castle of Bentheim’ by Jacob van Ruisdael (1653 AD). ‘Parody of Raphael’s “School of Athens”‘ by Joshua Reynolds (1751 AD). ‘Argenteuil Basin with a Single Sailboat’ by Claude Monet (1874 AD). ‘The Dublin Streets: A Vendor of Books’ by Walter Frederick Osborne (1889 AD). Statue of Oscar Wilde lounging on a boulder in Merrion Square gardens. Statue of a pregnant woman kneeling with Oscar Wilde in the background. Path in Merrion Square. Peony-flowered dahlias. Statue of an Irish harpist. Bust of Michael Collins. ‘The Victims’ by Andrew O’Connor (1931 AD), located in Merrion Square. Lake in Saint Stephen’s Green Park. Bust of James Joyce. Trees in the park. Path in Saint Stephen’s Green Park. Statue of Molly Malone (designed by Jeanne Rynhart and unveiled in 1988 AD for Dublin’s millennium-old celebration). “In Dublin’s fair city, Where the girls are so pretty, I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone, . . .” My dinner of beef and Guinness pie and Guinness beer. Duke Street with Davy Byrne’s pub (center), where Leopold Bloom stopped for a gorgonzola cheese sandwich and a glass of burgundy in James Joyce’s ‘Ulysses’. O’Neill’s pub, on the corner of Church Lane and Suffolk Street. St. Andrew’s Church at night; it was founded in the 16th-century AD, but now houses the Central Tourist Office. The Liffey River near Phoenix Park with the Wellington Monument visible on the left. The entrance to Kilmainham Gaol. The gaol (“jail”) was originally built in 1796 AD and is where leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising were imprisoned and executed. The chapel in Kilmainham Gaol. Peering in to a prison cell. Cells inside the gaol. A warning etched above a doorway inside Kilmainham Gaol. More rows of prison cells inside the gaol. The East Wing (or “Victorian Wing”) inside the gaol. Three levels of prison cells inside the East Wing. A bolted and locked prison cell door. In the prison yard with the West Wing of the gaol on the left. The execution yard with a cross marking the spot where James Connolly (leader of the 1916 Easter Rising) was executed. An original ‘Proclamation of the Republic’, a document issued by the Irish Volunteers and Irish Citizen Army during the 1916 Easter Rising. The Weekly Irish Times, 29 April – 6 May 1916, covering the events of the 1916 Easter Rising. Scapulars that were taken from the body of Michael Collins after he was killed. The James Joyce Bridge over the Liffey River. Portrait of B.P. Fallon (an Irish DJ, author, photographer, and musician) on the side of a building, by the artist Maser. The Temple Bar pub in Dublin. Ha’penny Bridge over the LIffey River at night. The Four Courts building at night. Mellows Bridge over the Liffey River at night; this bridge has been standing since it was built in 1768 AD. Smoke and the sun breaking over the horizon in Dublin. A traditional thatch roof cottage along the road in Staleen, near Brú na Bóinne. Following Staleen Road to Brú na Bóinne. The Boyne River. Verdure farmlands surrounding Brú na Bóinne, seen from the Neolithic monument, Newgrange. Newgrange passage tomb mound, which was originally built sometime between 3000 and 2500 BC; it was subsequently sealed, buried, and forested before being discovered again (in the 17th-century AD) and rebuilt (in the 1970s). The entrance to the passage tomb at Newgrange with its entrance stone covered in megalithic art. Another stone, along the outer edge of the mound, covered with megalithic art. Reconstructed stone pattern on the outer wall of Newgrange mound. Another view of the Newgrange Neolithic site. The Knowth monument, another Neolithic passage tomb site at Brú na Bóinne. The large mound (or passage tomb) and three smaller, satellite mounds (or tombs) at the Knowth site. The ruins of a satellite tomb and another reconstructed satellite tomb, with the outer edge of the larger passage tomb on the right. Megalithic art on one of the stones bordering the large passage tomb at Knowth. The Eastern Passage inside the large mound at Knowth. More megalithic art on a stone at Knowth. Another example of megalithic art. One last example of megalithic art at Knowth. Farms of Meath County, seen from the Knowth Neolithic site. The Newgrange passage tomb mound seen from the visitor center at Brú na Bóinne (Note: it’s very small and near the center in this photograph). The coast at the town of Howth. On the Howth coastal trail, looking back toward the town and Ireland’s Eye (the small island to the right). The steep and rocky edge of Howth Head (the peninsula just north of Dublin). Ferns along the Howth coastal trail. Further along the Howth coastal trail. Cliffs at Howth Head with Baily Lighthouse in the distance. Blackberries found along the trail. Another view of the cliffs along Howth Head. The Howth coastal trail passing through a forested area. Baily Lighthouse seen from the southern end of Howth Head. Plums found along the trail. View of the southern coast of Howth Head with Baily Lighthouse in the distance. Looking out toward Dublin Bay from the trail. Wooden fence along the Howth coastal trail. Rocky coast on the southwest side of Howth Head. One last shot of the trail and coast. “The snotgreen sea, the scrotumtightening sea.” – Dublin Bay, seen from Howth Head.