Just the Pictures (Croatia) The old city of Dubrovnik, seen from the road leading in to the city. Inside Pile Gate, the west entrance in to the old city of Dubrovnik. Onofrio Fountain, which was built in 1438 AD as part of a water-supply system for the city. Placa Stradun (the main street) in Dubrovnik. Sponza Palace (on the left) and the Bell Tower (in the center). Looking out towards Placa Stradun, from the entranceway to the Old Port. Lintel inside the Dominican Monastery featuring three angels. The cloister inside the Dominican Monastery. The bell tower seen from the central courtyard inside the Dominican Monastery. Grand steps leading up to a side door for the Church of St. Sebastian. cannon facing Lokrum Island with St. John Fort in view. The Old Port and marina of Dubrovnik. Ploče Gate, on the east side of Dubrovnik. Chapel on the left, building on the right, and the Bell Tower for the Dominican Monastery in the center. Inside the central courtyard of Sponza Palace. Orlando’s Column with Placa Stradun in view. Street inside the old city of Dubrovnik. Another street inside the old city of Dubrovnik. A racially insensitive door knocker found in Dubrovnik. The facade of the Church of St. Ignatius in Dubrovnik. The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, on the right, inside the Church of St. Ignatius. Looking toward the altar inside the Church of St. Ignatius. Looking north at Jezuite Street in Dubrovnik, over the Spanish Steps. The Spanish Steps leading up to the Church of St. Ignatius. The view from the top floor of the Ethnographic Museum in Dubrovnik. Yet another narrow street in Dubrovnik. The Church of the Holy Annunciation, a Serbian-Orthodox church in Dubrovnik. The courtyard inside the Franciscan Monastery in Dubrovnik. Painting on the cloister wall inside the Franciscan Monastery. The cloister inside the Franciscan Monastery. Looking down another street in Dubrovnik. A walkway with many appendages protruding out of the buildings on both sides. The sun and the city wall of Dubrovnik. Homemade wine, being sold on tap, in a market inside the old city of Dubrovnik. Fort Lovrijenac with the old city of Dubrovnik in the background. Sea kayaks being brought in with Fort Bokar and the city wall of the old city in the background. Inside a corridor in Fort Lovrijenac. The old city of Dubrovnik, seen from Fort Lovrijenac. The topmost level of Fort Lovrijenac. Pile Gate, on the west side of the old city. Placa Stradun, seen during the late afternoon. The Cross on Mount Srd, overlooking Dubrovnik. The sun setting on the trail leading down from Mount Srd to Dubrovnik. The old city of Dubrovnik and Lokrum Island seen from the trail on Mount Srd. Another view of Lokrum Island, the old city of Dubrovnik, and Fort Lovrijenac (seen from the trail on Mount Srd). Fort Lovrijenac at night. Pile Gate at night. Minčeta Tower, on the northwest of the city wall, seen at night. Onofrio Fountain at night. Placa Stradun at night. St. Blaise Church with Dubrovnik Cathedral (also known as the “Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary”) in the background, at night. Sponza Palace and the Bell Tower at night. Another view of Placa Stradun at night. Ploče Gate at night. The Old Port and marina at night. Placa Stradun in the old city of Dubrovnik, seen from the city wall. Onofrio Fountain and rooftops seen from the western part of the city wall. Looking toward Minčeta Tower and the Franciscan Monastery from the city wall. The Former Convent of St. Claire, in the foreground. Fort Bokar (in the foreground) and Fort Lovrijenac (in the background). Another view of Fort Lovrijenac (left) and Fort Bokar (right), seen from the city wall. The OId Port and marina sen from the city wall. The Old Port of Dubrovnik. Looking toward the Dominican Monastery, from the city wall. The Old Port and the Bell Tower of the Dominican Monastery. The tiled rooftops of Dubrovnik. Minčeta Tower, seen from the city wall. The city wall and the old city with Lokrum Island in the distance. Garden inside the old city of Dubrovnik. The Franciscan Monastery with its courtyard, seen from the city wall. Placa Stradun, looking toward the Bell Tower near Orlando’s Column. Fort Revelin, on the east side of the old city, near Ploče Gate. Old street in the old city of Dubrovnik. The ferry to Lokrum, coming in to dock at the Old Port. Lokrum Island, seen from the enroute ferry. The cloister in the Benedictine Monastery on Lokrum Island. Trail through the woods on Lokrum Island. The Benedictine Monastery and southern part of Lokrum Island, seen from Fort Royal. Fort Royal, located on the highest point on Lokrum Island. The interior of Fort Royal. The woods on Lokrum Island. St. John Fort, seen from the ferry coming in to the Old Port. Dubrovnik Cathedral, seen from the eastern side of St. Blaise Church. The Notre Dame Concert Band wrapping up their performance between Orlando’s Column and St. Blaise Church. The “beach” on the southern end of Lokrum Island. 1-liter bottle of Croatian white wine made from Malvasia grapes. The Golden Gate (north entrance) of Diocletian’s Palace (in Split), built facing north towards Salona, the capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia. Looking out from inside the Golden Gate. View of the Peristyle (the central square of the Palace), towards the entrance of Diocletian’s quarters. The opposite side of the Peristyle in Diocletian’s Palace. The Bell Tower for the Cathedral of Saint Domnius (the Cathedral’s structure was originally built in 305 AD as the Mausoleum of Diocletian; the Bell Tower was added in 1100 AD, though radically changed in 1908 AD). Roman arches inside Diocletian’s Palace. Looking down at Diocletian’s Palace’s cellars. View of the Cathedral of Saint Domnius and its Bell Tower (the Cathedral was consecrated at the turn of the 7th-century AD and is regarded as the oldest Catholic cathedral in the world that remains in use in its original structure, without near-complete renovation at a later date). The entrance to the Ethnographic Museum in Split. Looking up at the Vestibule in Diocletian’s Palace. Sunlight shining on the entrance to the Vestibule. Fountain in the courtyard of the Large Papalić Palace (now the City Museum in Split). Street inside Diocletian’s Palace, facing a building with five holes on its wall – these holes were used during the Middle Ages to lure pigeons into nesting there; then the residents would steal the eggs and sometimes the pigeons for food. Gothic-style windows on a building (built during the late Medieval Period) within Diocletian’s Palace – fancy windows were a sign of wealth back then. Statue of Gregory of Nin, who introduced the national language in religious services (replacing Latin) after the Great Assembly in 926 AD. A 3500 year old Egyptian granite sphinx with its head still intact (brought here during Emperor Diocletian’s campaigns in Egypt). The sun shining down on the Bell Tower of the Cathedral of Saint Domnius. The steps inside the Bell Tower. Looking out east, from the top of the Bell Tower. North view from the Bell Tower. The west view from the Bell Tower. Southwestern view with the harbor and the Venetian Tower in view. Looking out of one of the Bell Tower’s windows. St. John’s Baptistry – in Roman times, it was the Temple of Jupiter. The coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling inside the old Temple of Jupiter. Another view of the Roman-built coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling. Medieval-style bas-relief on the baptistry inside the old Temple of Jupiter. Diocletian’s Palace’s underground complex. The Venetian Tower in Split. Bottle of Croatian white wine made from Pošip grapes. Split seen from Marjan Hill. The Church of St. Nicholas on Marjan Hill. Brač Island seen from Marjan Hill. The trail to the Church of St. Jerome, with Čiovo Island in the background. Looking down at Kašjuni Beach. Split, seen from west side of the harbor. Houses built on the rocks in Split. The Prokurative (“Republic Square”) in Split. Croatian red wine made from Syrah grapes. Buildings along Ban Jelačić Square (the central square in Zagreb). The Croatian National Theater in Zagreb. ‘Singeing a Pig’ by Mijo Kovačić (found in the Croatian Museum of Naive Art). ‘Milan Cathedral’ by Emerik Feješ (found in the Croatian Museum of Naive Art). Street south of St. Mark’s Square. St. Mark’s Church in the center of St. Mark’s Square. Buildings on the north side of St. Mark’s Square. Ivana Tkalčića Street in Zagreb. Zagreb Cathedral (its present form dates from 1880 to 1906 AD). Another view of Zagreb Cathedral. Building next to the Zagreb Cathedral. Bottle of Croatian red wine made from Frankovka (also known as “Blaufränkisch”) grapes. A contemporary art building and sculptures in Zagreb. Wine goblet in the form of a “Fu” character (Chinese porcelain; produced after 1911 AD), in the Mimara Museum. An amatoria, which was given at engagements and weddings (Italian, 15th-century AD). A dish produced in Iznik, Turkey (16th-century AD) and discovered at a shipwreck site near Dubrovnik. Sculpture of the Archangel Gabriel (Flanders, 15th-century AD). Ivory reliefs depicting Paradise and the Expulsion, by Christof Angermair (1632 AD). Painting of Virgin Hodegetria (16th-century AD). Painting of Christ by Aelbrecht Bouts (1450s-1549 AD). ‘Sense of Taste’ by Jacob Adriaensz Backer (17th-century AD). ‘Poppies’ by Eugène Delacroix (19th-century AD). ‘Apples’ by Édouard Manet (19th-century AD). ‘Wonderful’ by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. The Croatian State Archives. An Ultimaker 3D Printer in action at the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb (since I had never seen one in person before, this was the most exciting artifact on display within the museum). Bronze Age Female Idol figurine. An ancient two-edged razor. Greek askoi (drinking vessels). Stele of Aku (Ancient Egyptian Middle Kingdom, 2055-1650 BC). Mummified body of Nesi-Hensu, the wife of Paher-Hensu (a tailor from Thebes) who was wrapped in the “Linen Book of Zagreb” (a modern title), which contains almost 1200 words of the Etruscan language (more than all other preserved texts). Roman dagger (1st-century AD). A ceramic male head (Roman Era, 2nd- to 3rd-century AD). View of Ban Jelačić Square and the Cathedral from the Zagreb Eye Viewpoint. View of the Upper Town (with St. Mark’s Church visible) and Radiceva Street. Looking west at Ilica Street. Statue located next to Vlaška Street. The Zagreb Cathedral in sunlight. Shops and cafes on Ivana Tkalčića Street. Inside Stone Gate (“Kamenita Vrata;” now a chapel), the only remaining gate out of four that once connected Lower Town to Upper Town. Horrid building in Upper Town (on the southeast corner of Gornji Grad). Zagreb Cathedral seen from Gornji Grad. Steps leading up to the Strossmayer Promenade. Ilica Street with the Zagreb Eye Viewpoint in the distance (the tall glass building). Bottle of Croatian white wine made from Pinot Sivi (“Pinot Gris”) grapes.