November 11, 2014

Kathmandu, Nepal

I got up this morning, ate breakfast (fried eggs, fried potatoes, toast, and coffee) at the hostel, got ready, grabbed my passport and a pen, and walked over to the Indian Embassy (luckily not far from Thamel, where I was staying). Next to the embassy was a long queue for people waiting to apply for visas or to receive their visas. After asking around, I quickly discovered that the information I received online was outdated and I needed to go to one of the adjacent visa services to apply online and get the appropriate paperwork . . . and so I did. I filled out the poorly done questionnaire (after receiving my paperwork, I found out that the questionnaire only covered about half the questions found on the online visa application), gave them my passport, and waited for about fifty minutes for the staff to fill out and print off the form, as well as make copies of several passport pages (which they had to of again since they failed to make a copy of my Nepal visa extension – it’s hard to find good help these days). After receiving my paperwork, one of the employees briefed me on what to do next, lied about the price for the visa and the timeline, and tried to persuade me to let them handle it for almost double the price than if I did it myself; I paid for the paperwork and my facial expression told them “to go fuck themselves”. I then walked next door to the Indian Visa Application building, took a number, and then waited for over two hours for my number to be called. I submitted my paperwork, paid the fee (7,000 rupees), received a receipt informing me to return on November 17th, and then walked back to Thamel. Once back in Thamel, I decided to eat lunch (the Annapurna Circuit trek has ruined my one meal a day eating habit) and had a lackluster fish and chips with beer. I then went back to the hostel, arranged a mountain flight for tomorrow and bus transportation to and from Chitwan National Park, turned in my disgustingly smelly dirty clothes from the trek to be washed and cleaned, and then went through all the photos I had taken on the Annapurna Circuit trek. Later in the evening, I had a bottle of Chilean Carmenère wine (it was spicy with tastes if green peppers, cloves, and berries; a very enjoyable wine, especially after having consumed that dreadful Nepalese wine during my first day in Nepal) and chocolates. I then ended up working late sorting through the roughly four thousand photos I had taken during the previous twenty days, so I skipped dinner, had some more beer after finishing off the very nice South American wine, and eventually went to sleep some time after 23:00.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

An open journal or an exercise in narcissism.