Just the Pictures (Uruguay) Trees lining Calle Intendente Suarez in Colonia del Sacramento. Drawbridge, gate, and city wall to the east of the historic center of Colonia del Sacramento, which were originally built in 1745 AD. Cannon placed at the city wall and facing east, next to the gate. Painting of St. Michael the Archangel, on one of the remaining walls of San Miguel Bastion. Calle de los Suspiros – the most scenic cobblestone street in Colonia del Sacramento. Colonia del Sacramento Lighthouse (which was constructed between 1890 and 1910 AD) and the ruins of the Convent of San Francisco (which was built in 1740 to 1760 AD). Colorful buildings on the west side of Plaza Mayor. Unassuming little restaurant on the intersection of Calle Misiones de los Tapes and Calle Del Comercio. Map of Colonia del Sacramento in 1762 AD, placed next to the Museo Del Azulejo (a museum with a large tile collection). Calle De la Playa. Map of the Río de la Plata painted on tiles. Street art on the side of a boarded-up building on Calle de San Jose. Wooden pier at the end of De España street to the north of the old city. Exterior of the Basílica del Santísimo Sacramento (“Basilica of the Holy Sacrament”), which was originally designed by Tomas Toribio and built in 1808 AD. Interior of the Basilica of the Holy Sacrament. Hibiscus flower. Artwork outside of a building in Colonia del Sacramento. Fountain in Plaza 25 De Agosto. Intendencia Departamental de Colonia (“Departmental Municipality of Colonia”). Mural on the exterior wall of the Tourist Information Center. Playa urbana El Alamo, the beach to the north of the old city. Railway turntable at the old train station in Colonia del Sacramento, which was built in 1901 AD and decommissioned in 1985 AD; it used to service passenger trains to and from Montevideo Central Station. Looking up at the tower of the Palacio Salvo – Montevideo’s most iconic building. Building standing at the southwest corner of Plaza Independencia. Palacio Salvo lit up with the sun’s setting rays. National Civil Service Office building. Another view of the Palacio Salvo, which was designed by the architect Mario Palanti and built in 1928 AD. Building across the street from the Palacio Salvo. Bottle of Uruguayan red wine produced from Tannat grapes. Breakfast of a ham and cheese omelette, fruit smoothie, and caffè americano. Monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi, who helped defend Montevideo from 1842 to 1848 AD against the former Uruguayan president Manuel Oribe’s Blancos – located in Plazuela Dr. Manuel Herrera y Obes. One of the windows for the Museo del Carnaval. Building for the General Command of the Navy at the Port of Montevideo. Remains of the Arteaga chimney, which was part of sanitation system in Montevideo. View of Montevideo and the Río de la Plata from the promenade along the shore to the south of Ciudad Vieja (“old city”). Cathedral of The Most Holy Trinity, an Anglican church that was built here in 1934 AD after demolishing the old church. Anglican Church with a portion of the old San Juan gate wall in front. Uruguayan Post Office building on Buenos Aires street. Sun over the southern bell tower of the Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral. Interior of the Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral, which was consecrated in 1804 AD. Tomb of Archbishop Mariano Soler in the Cathedral. Looking up at the dome in the Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral. Altarpiece of N.S. Rosario of Pompeya. Altar inside the Cathedral. Baptismal font inside the Cathedral. Statue of John the Baptist baptizing Christ, displayed inside Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral. Fountain in the Plaza de la Constitución (also known as “Plaza Matriz”). Courtyard inside Casa Rivera, which is home to the Museo Histórico Nacional (“National Historical Museum”). ‘Adoption of the Constitution, July 18, 1830’ by Juan Manuel Blanes. Painting depicting the declaration of Uruguayan Independence on 25 August 1825 AD. Portrait of an old man with a blunderbuss, painted by Diógenes Hequet (1891 AD). Painting of the ‘Battle of Estero Bellaco’, which was fought on 2 May 1866 AD in the Paraguayan War (painted by Diógenes Hequet). Mosaic portrait of General Maximo Santos. Military uniform that belonged to General Maximo Santos, who served as the President of Uruguay from 1882 until 1886 AD. ‘José Artigas’ by Daniel Tomasini (2014 AD). Looking up at the staircase inside the National Historical Museum in the Casa Rivera. Monument in Plaza Zabala. Teatro Solis, a theater that was built in 1856 AD. Moveable glass plate for a magic lantern (1850-1880 AD), on display in the Teatro Solis. ‘Hell is Empty and all the Devils are Here’ by Enrique Badaró Nadal (2016 AD), on display inside the Teatro Solis. Bacacay street in Montevideo. Artigas Mausoleum (which houses the remains of the Uruguayan military hero José Artigas Palacio Salvo and has an equestrian statue of him on top) in the Plaza Independencia, with the Palacio Salvo in the background. Hall inside the Palacio Salvo, where a number of small sculptures are displayed. Pool hall inside the Palacio Salvo. Looking down at the Plaza Independencia, from the rooftop of the Palacio Salvo. Looking southward, toward where the Río de la Plata meets the Atlantic Ocean, from the rooftop of the Palacio Salvo. Looking up at the tower of Palacio Salvo, from the building’s rooftop. View of Plaza Independencia, as well as the inlet to Montevideo Bay, seen from the rooftop on Palacio Salvo. Inside the tower of Palacio Salvo; the entire building is 95-meters tall. Fountain in Plaza Juan Pedro Fabini. Monument in Plaza De Cagancha. Statue of Carlos Gardel, the famous French-born Argentine tango singer. Locks Fountain, at the intersection of Avenida 18 de Julio and Yí. Painting of filmmakers on the “Cinemateca 18” building, located on Avenida 18 de Julio. Replica of the ‘Venus de Milo’. Replica of a bust of an eagle warrior (or “eagle knight”) – a special forces soldier that belonged to the Aztec army – the original was created in 1324-1521 AD. Replica of an Olmec colossal head (appears to be based on ‘San Lorenzo Colossal Head 1’ in Veracruz) on display in the Museum of Art History. Palacio Legislativo (“Legislative Palace”) of Uruguay. Uruguay’s national sandwich: the Chivito, which is comprised of a thin steak, bacon, ham, eggs, melted cheese, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, garlic, red peppers, mayonnaise, and toasted buns. Uruguayan Pinot Noir.