Just the Pictures (Colombia) Puerta del Reloj, the main gateway through the old city wall in Cartagena, with the Torre del Reloj (the clock tower) built on top. Galleon harbored in Cartagena Bay. Calle de los Santos de Piedra with the Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría on the right. Balconies on Calle del Estanco del Tabaco. Baluarte de Santo Domingo (“Santo Domingo Bastion”) – located on the west side of the historic city center. Inside the Centro Comercial La Serrezuela, which is a shopping mall with an arena built into it. Decorations above Calle del Quero. Monument to Blas de Lezo, a Spanish navy officer who famously defended the city in the Battle of Cartagena de Indias (1741 AD), where he helped defeat a large British invasion fleet commanded by Admiral Edward Vernon. Castillo San Felipe de Barajas with the Convent of Santa Cruz de la Popa on the hilltop in the distance. Monument honoring India Catalina (1495-1538 AD), who was an indigenous woman of Mokaná ethnicity, who accompanied the conquistador Pedro de Heredia as an interpreter and concubine, and who played an important role in the Spanish conquest of Colombia. Statue of Adolfo Mejia in Plaza San Diego. Calle de la Soledad. Calle de San Agustin Chiquita. Plaza de la Proclamación with the Palacio de la Proclamación on the left and the Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría on the right. Looking around the corner of the Cathedral at Calle de los Santos de Piedra. Equestrian statue of Simón Bolívar in Plaza de Bolívar. Calle de la Factoria. Viewing the cityscape of Cartagena from Santo Domingo Bastion. Façade of Iglesia de San Pedro Claver, which was built in 1654 AD and contains the remains of Saint Pedro Claver. Plaza de la Aduana with the Alcaldia Mayor de Cartagena de Indias (“Mayor’s Office of Cartagena de Indias”) on the left. Nice looking building in Cartagena. Waling under the balconies of Calle del Estanco del Tabaco again. Walking down Calle del Quero. Dinner of fish with vegetables, salad, avocado, patacones (fried plantains), and brown rice. Puerta del Reloj, seen from within the city walls. Iglesia de San Pedro Claver in the morning. Looking down Calle de la Mantilla from the intersection with Calle de Don Sancho. View of Calle de Don Sancho and the bell tower of Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría, seen from the city wall. Cannons on display in Santo Domingo Bastion with the flag of Cartagena. View of Santo Domingo Bastion from Puente Boquetillo de Santiago on the city wall. Façade of Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría. Interior of the Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría, which was built in 1612 AD. Eleventh Station of the Cross (“Jesus is nailed to the Cross”) inside the Cathedral. Exterior of Convento de Santo Domingo, which was established in the 16th-century AD. Interior of the church at Convento de Santo Domingo. ‘Reclining Figure 92’ by Fernando Botero (2000 AD) – located in Plaza Santa Domingo, this sculpture is better known as “La Gorda Gertrudis.” Door knocker shaped like a mermaid. Door knocker shaped like an iguana. Well in the courtyard of the Palace of Inquisition Cartagena Historical Museum. Replica of “The Fork of the Heretic,” a torture device from Europe (ca. 1500 AD), where the prongs of the forks pierce the flesh under the chin and over the sternum; it still allows the victim to communicate, but prevents any movement of the head. View of the bell tower of Catedral de Santa Catalina de Alejandría, seen from the Palace of Inquisition. Painting depicting Saint Pedro Claver (by an anonymous artist); Saint Pedro Claver arrived in Cartagena in 1615 AD and devoted much of his life to evangelizing and redeeming the African slaves in New Granada. ‘Signing of the Act of Absolute Independence’ by Cecilia Porras (20th-century AD). Statue of Saint Pedro Claver with an African slave – located in Plaza de San Pedro Claver. Iglesia de San Pedro Claver and its cloister, seen from Baluarte de San Ignacio (the bastion at the southern end of the city wall). Colombian police officers assembling in Plaza de la Aduana. Sweets being sold by a vendor at the Portal de los Dulces. Calle de las Banderas. Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas, which dates back to 1536 AD and is located on the Hill of San Lázaro. Colombian flag on Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas, with Cartagena’s skyscrapers in the background. Inside one of the corridors in Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas. Southeastern wall of Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas. Looking toward the center of the fortress. Viewing Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas from its northern battery. Looking up at Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas, from near the Monumento Blas de Lezo. Calle de los Puntales. Plate of sliced chorizo and botifarra sausages with onions, herbs, and patacones (“fried plantains”).